Scholarship Sponsored by William G and Marie Selby Foundation
The Selbys were interested in helping local students with limited financial means pursue a higher education, with the goal of not only achieving a meaningful career, but also of helping their community.
Today, “Selby Scholars” are undergraduate students who demonstrate maturity, grit, and resilience in the face of adversity. Selby Scholars are resourceful, committed, and academically prepared to succeed in college and the pursuit of their dreams.
Our scholarship awards are renewable, with certain requirements, for the four years the student is enrolled full-time at an accredited college or university.
Additionally, the Selby Foundation is currently administering the Sandra K. Lacey Scholarship.
This scholarship program is available to residents of Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte or DeSoto counties. Applicants must be:
Graduating seniors from any high school in the above-mentioned 4 counties. Applicants must plan to attend an accredited college and/or university full-time to complete a bachelor’s (4-year) degree.
Students planning to enroll in a state college are eligible to apply. Students planning to pursue a 2-year degree only, however, are not eligible. Non-high-school students who are already enrolled in college are also not eligible. Listed below are additional criteria.
Scholarship awards will be based on:
- Demonstrated financial need (maximum allowable EFC is $12,000);
- A minimum 3.0 (unweighted) grade point average;
- High school (or state college) transcript;
- Evidence of personal growth potential through letters of recommendation from
teachers and community members;
- Perspective on personal values and future plans outlined in essays; and
- A personal interview conducted by community leaders.